Friday 24 June 2011

Sketch notes from Rum

The Cuillin of Rum


The Isle of Rum is a wild landscape with varied geology and abundance of wildlife. I've just returned from a backpacking trip to the island and I must say we where very lucky with the weather, and the least rare of all species THE MIDGE. This enabled a friend Fran and myself to enjoy great camping, fantastic sunsets, sketch without scratching and being driven mad, and experience one of Scotland's finest ridges, the Rum Cuillin.


A couple of images from my sketchbook.

Guirdil Bothy and Bloodstone Hill.




Descent to Harris from Trollabhal.

The name Trollabhal comes from the Norse name Troll Mountain. The name derives from the early settlers who thought the noises of the Manx Shearwaters hidden in their underground burrows where Trolls.


I don't remember ever seeing a sunset like this one with the Isle of Canna in the foreground. Big skies and elusive distant showers.

No comments:

Post a Comment